During the course of a session, I will be collecting information from my clients in the regular course of doing business.
What personal information do I collect and for what purpose?
- Name (required – Record keeping)
- Phone number (required – used for appointment booking/rescheduling/canceling. Will not be used for solicitation unless consent is given by the client)
- e-mail address (optional – used for appointment booking/rescheduling/canceling and news letters if requested by the client)
- Health/medical information (Required)
How do I store this information?
- Name – Recorded in the client file and is double locked in a filing cabinet, and in my confidential electronic contact list. Client’s first name and last initial appear in my agenda and appointment book.
- Phone number – Stored in my confidential electronic contact list.
- E-mail address – Stored in my confidential electronic contact list.
- Health/medical information – All session notes are handwritten and double-locked in a filing cabinet. Any information sent via e-mail that may contain health information will be printed and place in the client file which is double locked. Electronic copies will be destroyed to maintain privacy. If at any point I start to maintain electronic copies, clients will be notified in writing at least 30 days in advance.
Use of personal information for secondary reasons:
- I may offer workshops and seminars through out the year, eitheR self run or in partnership with other industry experts. If client consent is given I will call or e-mail those clients who are interested based on their contact preference. Clients will need to express consent in writing in order to be included in these mailing lists.
Sharing of personal information with third parties:
- The only time client information is shared with third parties is if I am required to do so for legal purposes or if I have written consent from to client to share this information. There are certain situations where I would be required by law to share client information without client permission to medical personal and law enforcement:
- If the client threatens grave bodily harm or death to themselves or someone else.
- If the client reports to me incidents of physical or sexual abuse of a minor child by an adult, or of an elderly or disabled person.
- If the client reports misconduct of a mental health professional I am required to report it to the appropriate College.
- If the client becomes involved in a legal case (child custody, civil suit etc.) I may be required to produce records or testify.
- If I am ordered by the courts to produce records of my files.
How do you get my clients consent?
All clients will be required to sign a consent to treatment form at the start of therapy where they will give me permission to collect their personal information. From then on, that form will cover all future therapy sessions and therefore any information shared in these sessions. If a client contacts me via e-mail, I am assuming they are giving my permission to respond to that same e-mail unless they express otherwise.
How do my clients opt out?
The clients can chose not to give me their e-mail address and all communication can occur over the telephone. As long as the client remains as my client, I will be required to collect their name, telephone number and health/medical information.
Can a client get copies of their information?
If a client requires their files whether for their own needs or to transfer or share with another medical professional, I will need a written request and will be happy to provide those records. A fee will be charged.
For further information around privacy clients can contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada for assistance.
Toll free: 1-800-282-1376
Phone: (613) 995-8210
Fax: (613) 947-6850
TTY: (613) 992-9190
Mail: 112 Kent St, Place de Ville, Tower B, 3rd Floor, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 1H3
Residents of Ontario:
Office of Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
Toll Free: 1-800-387-0073 (toll free within Ontario)
Phone: (416) 326-0073
Mail: 2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 1A8